POETRY CHANNEL

2008

Friday, March 16, 2007

JUST FOR FUN

Richard Cecil gave his 06 Fall workshop members a publicaiton handout. Just for fun, I thought it would be fun to compare rejections, eh.

Here's the list. Those with an asterik(*) were journals I landed a rare acceptance. Those with (r) are a rejections. Whoever responds with the most rejections by April 1 gets a prize.

5 AM, *
Another Chicago Magazine
Agni, (r)
Alaska Quarterly Review, (r)
The Atlanta Review
Antioch Review
The Bellingham Review, *
The Beloit Poetry Journal
Black Warrior Review, (r)
Boulevard
The Carolina Quarterly
The Chariton Review
Chelsea
Chicago Review, (r)
Cimmarron Review
Colorado Review, (r)
Columbia, (r)
Conjunctions, (r)
The Connecticut Review
Cream City Review
Cut Bank, (r)
Denver Quarterly, (r)
Diner
Epoch
Field, (r)
Fine Madness
The Florida Review
The Greensboro Review, (r)
Hanging Loose
Hawaii Review
Hadyen's Ferry Review
The Hudson Review
Indiana Review, (r)
The Iowa Review, (r)
Kansas Quarterly, (r)
The Kenyon Review, (r)
The Laurel Review
Manoa
The Massachusetts Review
Michigan Quarterly Review, (r)
Mississippi Review
Mudfish
New England Review
New Letters
New Orleans Review, (r, and no, it was not a Katrina poem)
Nimrod, (r)
The North American Review, (r)
North Dakota Quarterly
Ontario Review
Painted Bride Quarterly, (r)
The Plum Review
The Paris Review
Passages North, (r)
Ploughshares
Poetry East, (r)
Poetry Northwest
Prairie Schooner, (r)
Puerto Del Sol
Quarterly West
River Styx, (r)
Seneca Review
Southern Poetry Review
The Southern Review
The Southwest Review
Spoon River Poetry Review
Sycamore Review, (r)
Tar River Poetry, (r)
The Tampa Review
Willow Springs

And let us not forget this paying journals:

The American Poetry Review, (r)
Poetry, (r)
The Missouri Review
The Georgia Review, (r)
The Virginia Quarterly Review, (r)
The Gettysburg Review, (r)
The Journal, (r)
Crab Orchard Review, (r)
Three Penny Review

So count up your (r)'s and submit your badge of rejection proudly: mine says 34!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got 33 for sure, but it's only recently that I've been more organized about my submissions, so I'm sure the actual number is higher. I wonder how many of those magazines have rejected Richard Cecil?

8:33 AM  
Blogger David Harrity said...

There is no rhyme or reason to this submission stuff--its all voodoo.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from GWEN--I've been rejected by 16 magazines (a total of 67 poems). I have poems now pending with 7 magazines. I've been accepted by 2 literary magazines, 2 print anthologies, 1 online "ars poetica" blog, and 1 local grassroots quarterly. I will be paid to write occasional book reviews for a regional Literary Gazette this summer.

8:41 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

I found your blog via Therese. This list, believe it or not, is inspirational. I love that poets send out so much work to so many places. Makes me want to get it in gear. No more two or three places a year for me! Thanks for the motivation!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home