POETRY CHANNEL

2008

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

ONE-LINERS

Have you seen these things? One line poems. They exist.

I read my first one (that I remember, anyway) a few months ago in a Franz Wright book called The Beforelife. It was kind of dark, but I liked the sort of tension evoked in such a short, all-or-nothing poem. The Franz Wright poem, by the way, was called "Body bag."

And then, yesterday, I found another one liner by A.R. Ammons. A poem entitled "Coward," from Ammons' book Diversifications, knocked my proverbial socks off. Here it is. Don't blink: "Bravery runs in my family."

That's it.

I started thinking about this poem. I think anything that you eventually are going to like, say you like anyway, these things have to pass through a series of rigorous tests. The things we love often have to be hated first and right now, I hate these little poems. Are they even real poems?

Sure, we could go all deconstructionist on ourselves and say, well, anything can technically be a poem. But that kind of logic doesn't hold up. It's why Jewel's book of poetry isn't really considered real poetry. You can think you have written a poem, then, but have actually? This is a tough question and I'm not sure any of us are apt to answer it entirely.

In my investigation of these one-line poems, I have come to some mixed results. That's why I'm creating a prompt.

Write a one line poem. Here's the rules.

1. Title and poem can't be longer than 18 words.

2. There is no rule number two.


I think we'll see some interesting stuff. And hey, now, people, start voting for your favorite sijo.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And people like to argue over prose poems.

I will attempt to write a one-line poem, but I'm not convinced.

By the way, I like Sijo #5 best.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from GWEN--One recent posting on a "poetics" listserv mentioned an anthology in which every poem is fewer than 25 words.

Miller Williams has a one line poem in which the one line is a question--

THE LIGHT IN THE EYES
Who knows where it goes?

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I tried, but I can't write a one line poem.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home